2.08.2011

A Seattle Q & A with Strath Shepard.

Strath Shepard
Art Director/Graphic Designer
Pacific Standard
See his portfolio here and blog here.

A Seattle Q & A with Strath Shepard.
This is my newest blog feature "A Seattle Q & A." Being born and raised in Seattle, I've come to meet a lot of stylish and unique people, who do a lot of cool things, so I thought I'd ask them some questions.

1. What trait(s) or characteristic(s) do you get from your grandparents?
Among many other things, a love of the West and an appreciation for people that lived before me.

2. What's the best part about living in Seattle?
It's a city that is still developing, with all of the interesting things that go along with that – juxtaposed with beautiful raw wilderness that is never very far away.

3. What do you always carry with you?
Aside from the regular stuff, a camera and a pen.

4. If you could have dinner with any deceased author, who and why?
My answer would change every day. Today I'll say Ralph Ginzburg – he published Eros and Avant Garde magazines in the '60s, and wrote a book about being thrown in jail for "obscenity." He was a truly forward-thinking editor.

5. Worst food indulgence? (the more secretive the better).
Ugh, so many. Let's go with the occasional drunken City Market corndog.

6. If Obama were coming to your house for dinner, you would prepare your famous __________. (Include your recipe if you want!)
Gift-giving ability... to thank Emily for her amazing cooking.

7. If you had to make rules (like Fight Club), what would rule #1 always be?
Pay attention.

8. No one knows _______________ about me. (fill in the blank). Make it as serious as you want to. Hmm, I feel like three years of blogging has made me an open book, at least with the light to medium-dark stuff. How about this: I've had 132 stitches in all. My brother and I used to get cut up all the time doing various stunts and dances.

9. Is the Seattle freeze fictitious? How do you know?
I grew up here and didn't really notice it (then again, I was kind of a loner growing up, so maybe I was the freeze). I felt it a bit when we moved back after ten years in New York – people are friendly but often make it pretty clear that they have their little crew and don't need anyone else. I do think it would be tough to move to Seattle alone and make friends. But Emily and I have been lucky to meet really cool people, in addition to a few old friends, so it hasn't been too icy. I do my best not to practice the freeze – I am always open to having more friends if they're top quality.

10. Where is the best place to eat dinner?
I'm pretty easy to please so I'm probably not the best person to ask. Plus, I'm more into brunch and snacks. I really want to try Local 360. I like the hamburgers and the meatloaf at Jules Maes. We went to 13 Coins last night – always classy. Oddfellows is below my studio so that's kind of my default. The elk meatball sandwich at Nettletown is off the meter (the meter that measures gamey meats). I like the wild boar sloppy joe at Quinn's. Elliott's probably has the best oysters but for ambience I like Emmett Watson's or Chinook's. The Attic has the best wings. Sitka & Spruce is phenomenal, as is the Walrus & The Carpenter, and Spur. And I love Vito's. That's another thing my grandfather taught me: to love Vito's.

I was lucky enough to intern with Strath who does amazing work; see some of his work featured below.
V_MarioTestino_DavidSims WaxPoetics VMAN_CharlesPeterson Adidas1 KarlLagerfeld
Thanks Strath!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails